Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Want to dance?

Kelan likes to dance. Lauren does too (although her dancing is more like the sit down twist). We dance a lot during the day to music at home, in the car (a buckled in version, of course), to me singing, and to TV theme songs. Yep. Everyday during quiet time I put on one of Kelan's favorite PBS programs (Sesame Street, Thomas and Friends, Bob the Builder, Dragon Tales, Clifford...) wanting to immediately start MY time, but I have learned that in order to avoid a melt down, I must dance.

I have learned the words to most of the songs and sing along with Kelan at the beginning of EVERY show. Normally I have to hold a Thomas the train (or one of his many friends) while dancing. The beginning of these shows only last for 15-20 seconds, but sometimes feels like its forever when I have to go to the bathroom, put Lauren down for a nap, eat something, chat with a friend (the phone is a definite no no during dancing) or one of my many tasks I have to do in my "free" hour. It gets especially tough when some of these programs are only 6-8 minutes long and they have a new song at the beginning of every episode (yes, I have to dance at every theme song during quiet time).... or when Elmo sings during Sesame Street.

However when I see Kelan's face while dancing - I am reminded that it is all worth it. His smile is pure joy. Isn't this why I am a stay at home mom? These little moments are WONDERFUL to share with my kids. How long will I get to sing and dance with my children - how long will they want me to? So when I hear the question (as I will inevitably will), "Mommy, want to dance?" My resounding answer will be...YES!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said.