Monday, May 7, 2007

My new blog...

I am constantly talking about my kids and my highs and lows as a parent with everyone and anyone who will listen. I was inspired to create a blog by my mother's (Rockbridge Times) and my sister's (Welcome to Sunnyside) blogs.

I continue to be amazed at what moms do for their children (me included). My children, Kelan - almost 3 years, and Lauren (almost a year) keep me chasing after them 24 hours a day. Seriously, it does not end with "night night". That is only the beginning. In fact right now (after lunch) is my favorite time of the day - quiet time. Lauren is napping and Kelan is watching one of his favorite PBS programs. It is about the ONLY time of the day I can process a thought, eat lunch, rotate the laundry, email (or now - blog), make any number of house maintenance calls, clean the kitchen, go to the bathroom alone or just sit and not do anything. Of course, this like any other time is subject to change without notice.

I have an intensely energetic 2 1/2 year old. Seriously. He stopped napping at 21 months. He runs and runs all day long. Grabbing everything he can see, climbing everything that will hold him (he's a big kid - about 38 pounds) or not, and thinks of things to do that I haven't even fathomed. I think he is a lot like me when I was little - but with added "boy energy". My "mom's curse" worked ("I hope you have kids just like you..."). He can open (and unlock) doors and run outside within milliseconds. This coupled with Lauren, who is crawling faster everyday (and now standing - more things for her to grab and stick in her mouth) - makes for an interesting day. Additionally, both kids are incredibly vocal about their needs/wants and dislikes. Kelan's "I'll do that" and "not like it" are constant phrases in his repertoire and Lauren has learned to grunt and whine so loud to grab my attention away from Kelan (this has got to be a 2nd kid thing...).

This is the hardest job I have ever had, but wouldn't change a thing. Well, maybe a couple of hours each week for myself... I dedicate this blog to my children (angels) for everything that they bring into my life - the good, bad, funny, sad, hysterical, irritating, sweet, sticky, happy, smelly, messy and wonderful.

1 comment:

Jason Hirthler said...

Interesting insights. I can't quite relate, though, as all my children are scattered across Brazil.