Tuesday, March 18, 2008

50's Housewife

I felt like a 50's housewife yesterday. Well, I had a fleeting flash of a feeling. A friend of mine, Kate, (she is renting the house next door while her own home is being remodeled) invited Kelan over to play yesterday afternoon. Her son is one of Kelan best friends (see Stating the Obvious). Kelan is old enough to walk next door by himself, however I wait on my porch until I can see Kate open the door and give the wave - meaning: I have him. I go back inside with Lauren to finish frosting the birthday cake I am making and that is when I have the flash.

The whole visual included my baking a cake and sending my son to my mom friend next door, but what brought the whole thing home was that I was wearing an apron. It was the icing on the cake. Pun intended. I had to laugh at myself and remember - I am NO 50's housewife.

I do not meet my husband at the door with a scotch - neither of us drink. I usually have dinner on the table when Dan comes home - but it could be something store prepared that I just pulled from the microwave. And I have a true life partner and co-parent in my husband. So I remind myself that the cake and apron is just a necessity of the moment - not a symbol of my life.

Consequently, the birthday cake was for me. I turned 38 yesterday. A really uneventful birthday. 38 - who cares? But I guess I need to be 38 to have everything that I have in my life and to actually recognize that I have it. I am happy in life - what more could I want for my birthday.

2 comments:

CaShThoMa said...

The apron made the case! Great post on your 38th Bday Jeanne!

40licious said...

Hey darling, HAPPY HAPPY!!! I'm sorry I'm no good at remembering people's birthdays but I love you madly and can't wait until you join the 40licious club with me.

You're still a fox, too, so you've got that ....

Love. V.