Monday, August 18, 2008

Triathlon Joy

Thanks to my husband, I found the joy last Sunday. I had all but given up competing in the Danskin Triathlon this year - but Dan was insistent that if I did not, I would regret it. This would be my fourth triathlon - so in it of itself, not a stressful event for me - but life surrounding the week before seemed too chaotic and tense for me to devote the time and energy needed. The thing is - Dan was right. Once at the event, I was at peace. I was not nervous or anxious as I had been in years past. I was able to enjoy being in a crowd of over 3700 women (all shapes, sizes, age and color) competing - together.

I love organized races (I use the term race loosely here - I am always participating in these types of events for the experience, not the win). I always feel like I am part of something bigger somehow. The euphoria gets amplified and the feeling of accomplishment is wonderful.

The Danskin (as we triathletes call it) is a half mile swim, about a 12 mile bike and a 3 mile run. This I can do - with a bit of training. A bit is all I seemed to get this summer with the demands of my children, my high school reunion in Houston (read: a week in weather so HOT you could scarcely be outside or run the risk of passing out - so no training) and family reunion in Maine (read: a week in cooler weather right after my Houston trip, but now I am off my schedule and am being lazy - so really no training). If this was my only interruption - I do not think I would have gone crazy the week before. Sadly, it was this particular week that nearly sent me to the loony bin (which actually would have been nice, no one to take care of, people taking care of me, no responsibilities...but I digress).

Hell week (a term usually associated with fraternities' hazing week for new pledges) is what I have knighted this time - it started Friday, August 8th. I arrive home from Portland, Maine with Dan, Kelan and Lauren Friday evening. Long flight. Long day. I am done. Saturday my extended family celebrates my grandmother's 91st birthday (see Rockbridge Times and Ahead of the Wave). Sunday is Kelan's 4th birthday. I have invited over 60 people for a BBQ in the park. Meanwhile, the kids are TOTALLY off their sleep schedule and are getting up throughout the night. Lauren has graduated herself from her crib and is insistent on sleeping in her bed. I am trying to get to the preschool work I have been neglecting while on vacation (I serve on the board of my children's preschool and am chair of Kelan's PreK class). Kelan has started a week long woodworking day camp which he could not attend without me the first day (Monday) - so I had to stay in the room preventing Lauren from interrupting the class. Dan was contemplating a new job and we were going back and forth on what this would mean for his career and how it would impact our family. My house is a wreck and we have no groceries. I learn on Thursday afternoon that my next door neighbors are removing (read: killing) a 50 year plus old beautiful pine tree in their back yard on FRIDAY! I knew they wanted to do this, but did not know it was this soon - I had been trying to get them to change their minds. Friday I got to hear the chainsaw during quiet time. When I finally summoned the courage to take a peek at the devastation, it was worse than I could have believed. Imagine my shock when I realized that they had cut down an entirely different tree than the one discussed and that they were now moving on to the tree in question. I lost it. Completely. I ran outside with the children to cry in front of my neighbors. They were not there. I cried so hard I could not breathe. Another neighbor came over to make sure I was okay - she thought that Dan had died. I cried for an hour before I pulled myself and my kids out of the house to seek support at a friend's. I was a wreck. Keep in mind I am trying to find time to train this week after a two week hiatus. All I can think is that I cannot do the Danskin. I do not have the energy or time - I could not find the joy. Dan felt otherwise.

I struggled to get my race day information the Saturday before the race. What a chore. I had to drive over to Bellevue through many road closures. A confusing expo once I got there. A gruesome drive home through football traffic and Hemp Fest traffic (will I ever get home?). Sunday morning has arrived - race day. Dan drops me off and finds a place to park. Suddenly I am calm. I walk with the other athletes towards the transition area. I begin to relax and start to enjoy being up so early on a beautiful morning.

For the next couple of hours I am swimming, biking and running. I have a personal cheering section (Dan, Kelan, Lauren and my mom). I am witnessing women competing in their first triathlon, their tenth. Women supporting each other - not competing against. My endorphins have kicked in. I sprint the final stretch of the run and cross the finish line. I have a grin from ear to ear. Thank you, Dan, I found my triathlon joy.

2 comments:

CaShThoMa said...

What a fabulous, inspiring post; every word providing a picture of what the days leading up to the event and the TRI itself felt like for you.
My comments:
1. What a hectic few weeks; no wonder you could barely see above water (and not even lake or pool water...just life water).
2. Proud of you for doing the TRI anyway, even when life's events threatened to take away all the pleasure you knew was there...that takes a lot of courage to push on when even the registration costs precious time and energy.
3. The pictures of you and your family tell it all; just how worth it this event was. I know your kids see this and even though they are young, they will understand that sometimes you just have to "do it".
4. Thanks Dan, for encouragement.
5. Finally, I can see you outside on Friday dealing emotionally and physically with the loss of those trees. The powerlessness against the savageness is a tough emotion. Ughhh is all I can say.

I'm glad you did the TRI. I hope to be joining you next year but glad you did the event for yourself and all the women who wanted to but who didn't make it to the starting line on August 17. THANKS

Love you!

Anonymous said...

Is it bad that I laughed out loud when I read that you ran over to your neighbors house to cry. I am so sorry about this but really glad you did the danskin...i do remember the very first one with Jason.