Sunday, June 1, 2008

Mommy's Bed

For better or worse my bed (uh...me and Dan's bed) is used for many activities. One of my favorites, other than being sound asleep for about 9 uninterrupted hours (which NEVER happens - ever), is when Kelan and Lauren crawl into bed with me and cuddle in the morning. I would like to emphasize cuddle, I am not a fan of the mommy attention tango they do where kicking and climbing on me is involved. We like to snuggle close and sing (I have many songs floating around in my head from my 13 wonderful years at an all girls camp in Tennessee). We usually start with "Way Up in the Sky" - a good morning song that has hand motions that the kids love to sing with me.

I love the weekends even more because Dan is home in the morning and it is wonderful to have us all there together. Plus I like it when Dan sings with the kids, because it is funny to hear one of our songs sung off key with deleted and made up verses. But that is part of the moment too, the kids do not seem to notice, much less mind, and they are so happy to have Daddy with them.

Mommies' beds in general must be magnetic - it draws all kids in. To this day I am still drawn to my own mother's bed when I am in her house. This is where some of our best conversations are. Maybe the bed is the heart of the family. You are safe, sound, comfortable and close.

2 comments:

CaShThoMa said...

What a sweet post; you are so right about the BED. No matter how old you are, it's the place to be sometimes. This past Thanksgiving, all four of the Mahers family watched a movie while lying on our king size bed. We did so because we could and because it reminded us of all of times past when lying together felt special, like we were all loved by one another.

Anonymous said...

All the best conversations happen while sitting on Mom's bed!