Monday, February 4, 2008

Yes We Can - Barack Obama Music Video

This Obama video made me cry. It talks of the change and hope I want for my children. I believe he can engage people to help work towards a better country and future.

I like the way Caroline Kennedy said it when she endorsed Barack Obama: I want a President who understands that his responsibility is to articulate a vision and encourage others to achieve it; who holds himself, and those around him, to the highest ethical standards; who appeals to the hopes of those who still believe in the American Dream, and those around the world who still believe in the American ideal; and who can lift our spirits and make us believe again that our country needs every one of us to get involved.

I struggle a bit with not supporting Hillary - do not get me wrong, if she becomes the nominee I will support her 100 percent - but Obama makes me feel . Hillary does not. I feel hopeful of a future for my family (and for every family). I feel those citizens who are not engaged in public life will choose to be in some way. I feel that change is possible. Of course it is way more complicated than that. Yes, it would be amazing to have a woman as President and it seems that every woman I know who is supporting her says that. But that contrasts to Obama supporters - who do not seem to be saying that they want the first African American President - they are saying they want Obama. They want change (although I want to note that I just heard an interview on NPR that interviewed and African American woman who said she was voting for Obama because he was black).

At the end of the day we need change. It is not about Obama. It is not about Hillary. It is about you and me and what we can do.

No comments: